Design Tidbit: Prop Houses are Where it's at

Tuesday, October 20, 2009


I just returned to the studio from a visit at Omega Cinema Props and I am crazy inspired! It really reminded me why LA may be one of the best places in the world to plan a wedding or event. You can literally find ANYTHING in this city!

For those of you who aren't familiar with prop houses, these are enormous showrooms/warehouses that hold all of the great props you see in your favorite TV shows, movies, commercials etc. They have EVERYTHING from Moroccan furniture, crystal chandeliers, Oriental rugs, church pews and then much smaller items like a coffee cup or clock you would have only seen in the 70s. I really love to incorporate a lot of residential elements into my events like furniture, lanterns, chandeliers, etc, so it was my own personal heaven! For example, today we found some amazing Spanish chandeliers and candelabras and some out of this world Victorian couches, chaises and mirrors that I'll be using to create the lounge at an upcoming wedding!

Point of all of this...if you can't find what you are looking for at a traditional rental company and you are lucky enough to live in LA, check out the prop houses. It's like a treasure hunt for designers and brides alike!

Oh, the above image is from the show Mad Men. The producers of the show use props from Omega on a regular basis and you can believe that the vintage couch he's sitting on or a couch from any other era is available for your next event!

1 comment:

BELOVED said...

I so wish we had stuff like this in Hawaii. The things that I could do!