Real Life Bride : Week 2

Monday, November 29, 2010

 I love this picture, it's the cover of a card.  My best friend and Maid of Honor, Shannon, gave it to me because we both got engaged this year and are simultaneously planning our weddings. I suppose most people would think it’s dangerous planning a wedding in the same year as your best friend (insert “Bride Wars” joke here), but it’s honestly been so nice.  Shannon’s wedding is in June 2011 and ours is in September 2011, so when she checks something off her timeline list, I know that leaves me about a month to do so myself. The most recent box to check off the timeline to do list? Buy your wedding dress.

The hunt started online.  I was certain I had picked out my dress without stepping foot in a store (I was wrong).  Sadly, I’m the girl who has to have a new dress for every special occasion, party, event, holiday… My profession is in the fashion industry and I love to shop, so I figured that dress shopping would be a cakewalk (I was wrong again).

I was really nervous try on my first wedding dress, I’m not going to lie.  The thought of Carrie Bradshaw fainting in that one episode of Sex & The City kept running through my mind over and over.  I took a few deep breaths, walked in to Monique Lhuillier and tried one on… and that is how my newest shopping addiction was born.  I fell in love with trying on wedding dresses. Week after week I would visit and re-visit bridal salons all over Los Angeles; I’m sure the sales associates were thrilled.

After all of that, I ended up finding “the one” in New York. My Mom and I planned a mini-vacation to the big apple for dress shopping, which ended up being a great success.  On our last day, we visited Vera Wang, where we both just knew we’d found it.  I thought I had a “gut feeling” with other dresses but this one just overwhelmed the rest. I. Love. Her.  While I’m sad to put an end to my latest shopping addiction, I’m thrilled that I have my dress!! Below is a picture of my Mom and I just after leaving the store.

I wish I could share pictures of my dress with you, but Grant is keeping in tune with tradition and doesn’t want to see the dress until the big day (which I’m very happy with).

All I can say is she is perfect!  I am happy to report that I have checked off yet another box from the timeline to-do list.  I wonder what Shannon will have in store for me next week.

Planning status:
Wedding Dress: Ordered
Bridesmaids Dresses: Narrowed Down
Bachelorette Party Location: Check
Save-The-Date List? Took it home to Texas Thanksgiving to review with the parents.
xoxo

No comments: