Summer Dinner Party in Michigan

Saturday, December 5, 2009


I just returned from my family's house in Michigan for Thanksgiving. While, I know Michigan is technically known for things like apples and cherries, if I were planning to entertain in Michigan, first, it would have to be a summertime soiree (I hate Midwestern winters). But, also it would hosted at one of the brilliant bed and breakfasts of Mackinac Island with a feast filled with meat and potatoes, just like my Midwestern childhood. Nothing in Michigan is ever pretentious so the day would be set amongst rustic picnic tables with flour sack linens donning jars of fresh cut tulips. In the background would be a classic cover band playing tunes from The Eagles, Tom Petty and Bob Segar. And, if there was a state beverage, I'm pretty sure it would be beer, so grab a Sam Adams and enjoy this tribute to the all-American dinner party...










From Top to Bottom: Refreshing tomato & cucumber salad,
Fire Cracker Corn Bread from 101 Cookbooks, Bon Appetit's own recipe for Grilled Ribeye, Traditional Mashed Potatoes from BBC Good Food, Martha's Fried Chicken, Super cheesy potato boats which may only be available in Michigan since that's the ONLY place I've ever had them, Fresh Green Beans from 101 Cookbooks ,101 Cookbooks' Cherry Cobbler, Chocolate Cupcakes from Cannelle et Vanille, Sun Tea from Simply Recipes

No comments: