Friday, December 4, 2009


What is the polite way to tell someone who assumes they are invited to your wedding that they aren't?This is a tough one for all couples! My best recommendation is to explain to people as early as possible that you have decided to have a very intimate wedding with family and close friends only. This should make it clear to associates, coworkers, etc. that they are not included in your day. To reduce hurt feelings, avoid discussing your wedding plans with anyone who is not on your invite list.

3 comments:

steph said...

This is a good post as I know when I say close friends and family, the next question back will be I thought we were close friends. I don’t count twitter and facebook as close friends esp if I don’t hang out with them but I know its coming !

Beth Helmstetter said...

If that's the case you can say something along the lines of "if you're not a mom, dad, sibling, etc. you aren't receiving an invite." It's probably a small white lie but it could possibly save you from an awkward conversation and some hurt feelings.

Aylee Bits said...

Great advice. So far I've had only one person asked if she was getting an invitation. I was caught off guard and made a looong pause. Luckily, she got the hint before I even got to say anything. Whew!