Real Life Bride: Week 7

Monday, December 21, 2009

I didn't cry when I got engaged. I didn't cry when I went dress shopping. So you can imagine my surprise when I finally did cry...and it was over my initial event floorplan!
 
Granted the layout Beth sent featured the most adorable little icons by my sister, Laura of Laura Hooper Calligraphy, and I was watching a sappy episode of Grey's Anatomy, but there was just something about looking at that floorplan, envisioning the actual day, and it just clicked ~ this is where I'm going to be marrying Ryan. And I started to cry. I was crying because I miss him (4 weeks apart now), and crying because I'm just so happy to be marrying him. It sounds cheesey, I know, and we are about the least cheesey people around, but I really am so grateful to be with him. And for whatever reason, looking at our wedding laid out on that piece of paper, I cried my first wedding tears of joy! He of course thought that was the most bizarre thing to cry over. Whatever, I'm abnormal.
 
I'm finding that it helps me stay calm about wedding planning to start thinking about things now, while I still have "a lot of time" as everyone keeps telling me. I like to know that I'm not going to be rushed to get stuff done 6 months out or 3 months out and then the final weeks. Could I wait a few more months to start getting into everything? Probably. Would that cause me unneccesary stress? Definitely. I've only been engaged a couple of months, but I'm already starting to realize that there is no right or wrong way. All the checklists in the wedding world aren't going to tell you what is best for your personality and style.
 
With that said, I still haven't booked anything other than the venue and photographer! But, we have an idea of the vendors we want and what we are looking for. My fiance (jokingly) asked if I had everything already done and planned for when he got back (next week), and a lot of people have (half-jokingly) asked if I was going to have everything done by the new year. The obvious answer to that is...No! Just because I'm an event planner (fundraising events for a non-profit), doesn't mean I will be done planning my wedding in a span of 3 months! I, like any other bride, am soaking it all in and going step by step with the guidance of my fantastic wedding planner...and enjoying every minute of not having to keep track of everything myself!
 
Planning status:
Nothing to report...But anxiously awaiting the return of my fiance!
Engagement Party RSVPs coming in

 

No comments: