Dealing with Guest Complaints : Part II

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Just a bit more of my insight on the series that's been up for the past three weeks, which will hopefully get me back in all of your good graces :).

YOU MAKE US PAY?!
I'm sorry, I can't disagree with this one. Again, harsher than it needs to be, but if you are hosting a party, you should host a party. You wouldn't ask your guests to bring a six pack if they were having dinner at your house nor should you ask them to pay for a drink if you invite them to your wedding. If it's not in the budget, consider a limited bar of beer and wine or consider cutting the guest list. Everyone will have a much better time in the end!

YOU SAT US HERE
To me, this complaint is more about knowing and considering your guests as individuals. If you have to put a group of guests by a loud speaker, consider putting a table of your rowdiest friends there. If there is a table close to the kitchen, maybe the kid's table could go in that corner. Try to think about the age and comfort of your guests when seating them if at all possible, but again, don't lose sleep over it!

In regards to outdoor weddings, I'm a huge fan, and I think my blog and website can attest to that! However, there are a lot of things to consider when going outdoors to keep guests comfortable. Outdoor heaters or pashminas are great if you anticipate a chill. Parasols work wonders if the sun is a little bright. And, simple details like bug wipes placed in upgraded VIP trailers in lieu of the carnival style portable restrooms are always a plus if possible. Lastly, simply advising your guests that the wedding is outdoors can do wonders as they can be prepared on their end.

YOU DON'T INVITE A PLUS ONE
Now, I know that venues and budgets have limits, but I am a big supporter of your guests being allowed to bring a date. I know that I personally would never want to attend a wedding without some social support and I doubt you would either. Unless you are inviting your crew of friends that can entertain themselves all night long, consider allowing guests to bring a date rather than forcing them into awkward social scenarios where they have no one to talk to.

YOU PUT US TO WORK
I don't really have to deal with this one too much as we tend to insist that NO guest ever work at the wedding, but I do think it's a good rule of thumb to plan to hire professionals so guests can be guests, when possible.

YOU DON'T SAY THANK YOU
You all know how I feel about intimate weddings. They really can be a special experience for everyone involved. You will not only THANK each guest but you will likely be able to even have a full conversation with everyone there. However, I know that's not realistic for every couple, so if you do have hundreds of guests, try to find the time to say hello to each person at the wedding. Thank you cards, I'm pretty sure, are a given, so I don't even need to touch on that one...

Again, my apologies to all who I offended by reposting the original article from The Knot, but hopefully I've helped further explain why the guest complaints are worth considering. Happy planning!

1 comment:

Bling and Blog said...

Beth, I'm not sure how or why your advice was taken with offense. I was recently invited to a wedding, which was pot luck and bring your own booze. Call me a fuddy duddy, but I think the couple would have been better off having a smaller, more elegant affair with their cloest family and friends, than inviting people and asking them to bring their own food. I found this in the worst possible taste. When my friend asked me about bringing a gift, I was floored. I have given dinner parties that involved more thought and care, and certainly did not ask my gusts to BOB. I could not agree with your advice more.