Fresh Face: Part III - You Are What You Eat

Thursday, April 15, 2010

So far, we’ve tackled external factors that can affect our skin. This week I’m going to focus on what we put into our body and how that translates into what we see on the outside.

For the most part, I think we all try to be as healthy as we can. In my case, I’m pretty good most of the time, but you better believe I like to splurge. There are, however, a few things I try to make sure I get as often as possible because I know they have great benefits for my internal well being, as well as the health of my skin. Here are a few of my favorites:
* Green Tea: Helps to calm inflammation and is great for your whole well-being.

* Foods high in Omega 3’s: They help smooth skin and decrease the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Examples are salmon and tuna, walnuts, flax seed, cauliflower and strawberries. An added benefit of Omega 3’s is that they are shown to improve the health of your heart and also help to counteract feelings of depression.

* Tomatoes: With a high concentration of lycopene, tomatoes help to smooth skin.

* Blueberries: These little antioxidant gems are full of goodness for your skin, helping to fight free radicals and pre-mature aging. Also try blackberries and plums.

* Vitamin A: Found in abundance in healthy skin, dairy products are a great source of Vitamin A (I try to stick to the low-fat versions).

* Selenium: Helps to fight damage caused by the sun. Try whole-wheat or whole-grain products, Brazil nuts, tuna and turkey.

* Water: Don’t forget to drink plenty of water to keep your system running smoothly and property hydrated.

It would be a challenge to try and eat all of things every day! But I’m a big believer in moderation, and adding a few of these items into your regular diet may help you achieve that radiant skin you’re hoping for, from the inside out.


No comments: