Friday, February 12, 2010

We would like our friend to perform our marriage ceremony but he doesn't have a license to do so. What are our options?
Many states have the option for your friend or family member to apply for a temporary license that allows them to legally perform your ceremony. Each state has different rules on this so be sure to research what applies in your area, but in California, for instance, the license is applicable for one day and one day only. Typically this is about a 4 to 6 week process to get the license, but it is relatively inexpensive and easy to do. Most states require a simple application be filled out and sent in with a minimal fee.

If, for some reason, you prefer not to bother your friend with this detail or you're cutting it too close to the wedding to get a legal license for them, you can still have your friend perform the ceremony, however will need a legal officiant standing by to ask you the "I do's" and to sign the marriage license.

One last note on having your friend or family member perform the ceremony: Please be sure to find someone who is not only committed to giving your ceremony the time and energy needed to be done right, but also find someone who is a good public speaker. Even with the best intentions, a visably nervous friend can distract from a meaningful moment.

No comments: