Handmade Goodness: Lace covered Candles

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Style Me Pretty included my instructions for this DIY project on her blog last week, but just in case you missed it, here's the scoop...

Every now and then I receive emails from brides searching for the candles used in Louisa and John's wedding. Truth be told, these were a super easy project made by the lovely ladies on my team. I personally love the candles and even made a few extras for myself which I like to use around the holidays and thought, just maybe, you might enjoy them too.

So, whether you are decking the halls or working on your own 2010 wedding, these candles are a charming touch. Happy crafting!

MATERIALS
~Inexpensive Straight Cylinder vase or candle holder (can be found for $3 to $10 at craft stores like Michael's)
~Eyelet Material or material of choice by the yard (We found ours in the fashion district of downtown LA, but there are plenty of resources online as well)
~measuring stick
~Spray Fabric Adhesive
~Scissors

First measure the height of your glass hurricane and cut the eyelet material to the appropriate width.

Spray the fabric adhesive onto the hurricane holder and wrap the candle slowly with the material, being sure to smooth out any wrinkles as you apply the material.

Trim the material that isn't straight or that might be overflowing at the top of the candle holder. Allow to dry for up to 24 hours prior to use.

That's it! Easy peasy! One last quick tip when searching for the right material for your candle holder. Some people prefer lace or a great sheer, but no matter what make sure to buy fabric by the yard, rather than trim. You will drive yourself crazy searching for a trim that is pre-cut to exactly 9" wide or whatever the case may be. Also, we intentionally avoided materials with scalloped edging or a delicate trim. This allowed the candle holders to be uniform when we trimmed the final product.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth! Yes, I saw your DIY project on SMP, and I must say, I fell in love! I am actually doing this for my shower give-aways! I just have a quick question; what if the lace starts to slowly peel off? Does the heat affect the spray adhesive?